Re: (PM) Speed Limitation

Josh Richards (jrichard@livingston.com)
Fri, 17 Jul 1998 16:31:16 -0700 (PDT)

On 17 Jul 1998, Bud Bennett wrote:

> As of right now, we have three modem pools. An analog 14.4 modem pool, An
> analog 33.6 modem pool and digital V.90 modem pool.
>
> Right now, if someone dials into our 14.4 modem pool, they get a USR
> Sportster 14.4 kbps modem. It's impossible for the user to connect at a
> higher speed because the modem itself isn't capable of doing anything faster.
>
> The 14.4 kbps accounts that we sell are priced considerably lower than our
> 33.6/V.90 accounts and are aimed at the consumer who is on a budget. So,
> even though the use of this pool is declining, it still is a major service
> for us.
>
> We are in the planning stages of moving our two seperate analog modem pools
> and one digital modem pool into two seperate digital modem pools. One for
> 14.4 kbps and one for 56 kbps.
>
> My boss wants me to physically restrict the speed within the Portmaster 3
> in the same way that one can restrict speed on a Portmaster 2. IE. The
> restriction applying to anything that connects to just that portmaster.
> 'set all speed x xxxxx'
>
> Unfortunately, Lucent says that physically restricting the speed via CLI
> commands is not possible, instead, everything has to be done through
> RADIUS. (Damn!)

Yes, most ISPs are using RADIUS servers of some type once they get to a
certain number of users or require certain features such as this. It was
invented in part to specifically address this type of application
requirement.

> The biggest trick of all is that under no circumstances should a user not
> be able to authenticate, even if they connect at the "Wrong" speed.

What do you want to happen if they connect at the wrong speed? I'm not
arguing, but the answer to your particular question is dependent on what
you actually want to have happen. You could bill them at a different
rate, apply a special filter to them, boot them off, notify them, etc.
Depending on which you want, there will be a different RADIUS config for
each.

> I would like to know if anyone here has attempted to try and deliberately
> limit the maximum connect speed of a PM3 through whatever means possible.
> If so, how they went about doing it and how much success they have had.

You are going to need RADIUS for this, yes.

-jr
----
Josh Richards - <jrichard@livingston.com> - <josh@lucent.com>
[Beta Engineer] - LUCENT Technologies - Remote Access Business Unit
<URL:http://www.livingston.com/> * <URL:http://www.lucent.com/dns/>