RE: (PM) Two weeks later, and still no working commas

Mark Radabaugh (mark@amplex.net)
Fri, 17 Jul 1998 13:52:50 -0400

>Please, give me a list of the "tweeking" you do for each problem modem.
>Such as I have constant retrains from Hayes acuras and LT Win Modem with
>Lucent chipset etc.
>
>Thanks
>
>C-U

We have seen several different problems:

A Cardinal MVPC34ILC would connect at 312 or 336 but had very
low transfer rates. The suspect is that the v.34
modem code in some older Rockwell chipsets is broken. See the
message that Karl Denniger wrote a while back:
http://www.livingston.com/Tech/archive/portmaster-users/9806/1592.html
I did not see any official response but I really think he was
onto something with his theory. The solution for this one was to
lock the modem to 28.8. The customer didn't mind the minor
speed loss.

A Packard Bell Sound4 would negotiate forever and cause Win95
to timeout. The 3 comma trick fixed it.

A Zoom 56K with 1.200 firmware with excessive renegs responded
to having the speed locked down with AT+MS=56,1,300,44000 The
modem used to bounce between 44 and 46K and locking it at the
44K rate stopped the reneg/drop problem.

Oddly - my own Accura 56K seems to hold out fine now. When I
first loaded the 56K code in it I was running 3.7 and it was
unstable but it seems better with the 3.8 betas.

We have several customers with the IBM LT Winmodems that seem
to do fine (just watch out loading IE4 on Aptiva's - arg!
http://www3.pc.ibm.com/techinfo/123f6.html).

So far that's the list of complaints we have seen...

Mark Radabaugh
mark@amplex.net
(419) 833-3635