Re: (PM) Zoom 2819

TC Hazzard (hazbro@gwi.net)
Thu, 16 Jul 1998 06:45:49 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, Eric Calvert wrote:

> I had a customer who was complaining about getting 28.8K connects with his
> 56K modem. I had him check the version of the flash and it was 0.519.
> Easy. Upgrade the flash. I gave him the web address and sent him along his
> way. Next day he sends me an e-mail that basically says, the upgrade went
> fine, but now I only connect at 24K. He has the Zoom 2819 flashed to 1.2
> and I have PM-3 that other 56K modems consistently connect to at 40-48K. Is
> there anything else I can have him check on his system before I have him
> bring it here to try on a known good phone line?

Eric: The 1.2 code for the Zoom is severely broken. I had trouble keeping
a connection once made. It appeared the modem could not find a 'sweet'
spot and would train up and down until it froze. I played around with a
lot of suggested init strings. The one which worked for me nails the modem
down to a given speed, allowing it to settle in without retrains. The
string in question is:

&F%C0+MS=56,1,44000,44000W2

It is also possible that the user in question will not be able to make a
K56 connection due to poor wiring in their house or out to the telco
switch.

---

TC Hazzard