Re: (PM) Performance on PMs when using filters

Scott Carpenter (scarpenter@assuredaccess.com)
Wed, 15 Jul 1998 10:47:06 -0700

At 08:56 AM 7/15/98 -0100, Mark Pace Balzan wrote:
> I was wondering if the performance of the PM2
>and hence response time to users will be affected.

There is always performance loss when filters are used. Now when a packet
is received/sent it must be checked against each line of the filter until
it gets permitted or denied, but with a ten line filter you should not see
the delay in packet forwarding. In other words the longer the filter is the
more packet delay.

>This will be on a number of PM2e30s.
>
>A couple with ComOS 3.3 1MB RAM
>Others with ComOS 3.5 4MB RAM
>
>Will it be able to handle this when fully used
>(ie a 10 rule filter on each of the 30 ports)
>or will performance suffer.

Yes, as I said above performance always suffers when filters are implemented.

>PS Is it worth upgrading to the latest versions of ComOS.
>What advantages do they offer. Thanks

I will answer this with a question. If it isn't broken, why fix it?