Re: (PM) SNMP

Josh Richards (jrichard@livingston.com)
Mon, 13 Jul 1998 15:52:03 -0700 (PDT)

On 13 Jul 1998, John Nowack wrote:

> I had noticed some messages on the Portmasster3 console before like this:
> SNMP: Bad Community - public
> SNMP: Bad Community - public
> It had me mildly interested in who or what was trying to read SNMP info
> from my Portmasters. So I decided to find out. I made a little
> filter to ptrace it:
> 1 permit 0.0.0.0/0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/32 udp dst eq 161
>
> Now I can see my SNMP monitoring stuff querying the PM every so often,
> but now and again I get the "bad community" message come up with no
> ptrace info within 3 minutes either side of it.
>
> What am I missing?

Hmm...does the PM have any other interfaces on it that the user may be
connecting too (remember any numbered ptp or frame links have
subinterfaces that are network accessible) with a different IP address? Do
an ifconfig and see what other interfaces they may be coming in on. I'm
not sure.

-jr

----
Josh Richards - <jrichard@livingston.com> - <josh@lucent.com>
[Beta Engineer] - LUCENT Technologies - Remote Access Business Unit
<URL:http://www.livingston.com/> * <URL:http://www.lucent.com/dns/>