Re: (PM) L2TP

Tom (tom@sdf.com)
Mon, 13 Jul 1998 10:53:44 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 13 Jul 1998, Andy Mell wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am getting a little impatient here watching all this talk about PM3s and
> ComOS 3.8beta. I do not have a PM3, but use lots of PM2s and ORs so will
> ComOS 3.8 ever come out for the PM2/OR in beta?

Why? 3.8beta does not have any new features applicable to the PM2. I
understand there is a 3.8 for OR will NAT, and that is in closed beta.

> Does anyone know when Lucent will implement router based L2TP? I am very

L2TP?

> Other features which appear to be missing and are commonly available in SOHO
> routers are NAT and passthrough (where all incoming connections irrespective

NAT will be in 3.8 apparently.

> What about HTTP setup interfaces?

Who wants this? Seems a step backwards actually, as opposed to
PMVision, and you still need to get IP up first in order to use an HTTP
interface. I know someone who sent an OR-U back to get a 3COM router with
an HTTP interface, then didn't use it once because they couldn't get it
configured to get the HTTP interface online!

> While Livingston certainly seem to be making progress in the carrier class
> market, please dont forget us guys with little ORs and PM2s who just want to
> set up secure networks and VPNs. Nothing has happened for ages, so dont
> blame me for getting very worried about Livingston's commitment to that
> market. Private emails of reassurance are welcome from Livingston staff...

Yes, but lets not turn the OR into a Ascend P50/75 where the thing has
so many obscure features, that it is nightmare to configure. I can put
all the commands to get a OR connected on a half-sheet of paper, but I was
stunned when a user showed me over a dozen config screens for a P50 and
asked me what to put in each item!

> Andy

Tom