Re: (PM) Feature Request (was SECURITY PROBLEM.)

D. Scott Gardner (sgardner@livingston.com)
Thu, 09 Jul 1998 07:44:32 -0700

At 11:07 PM 7/8/98 -0400, Stephen Zedalis wrote:

>So what you are saying is that ALL your release (non-beta) versions of
>ComOS have this bug and there is no resolution.

Exactly what bug are you referring to?

Enabling debugging and monitoring through the 1643 port is a
NEW FEATURE in ComOS 3.8. If you can find an instance of a company
going back to an old version of software and adding features I'd
like to hear about it.

>And from the suggestion to use the Java tools even though they only
>work on an as of yet unreleased version of ComOS, there isn't going
>to be one either.

If you had been reading this thread, you would have seen that
Thomas Kinnen suggesting using the PPPDecoder.

>From: Thomas C Kinnen <tom@lcp.livingston.com>
>Have you tried the new Java based PPP decoder. Much nicer. Has a
>graphical interface so no telnet needed.

Then Scott Hetzel made the comment:

>I agree it is much nicer, but for it to connect to a PM3 it requires Com/OS
>3.8b. It would be a much nicer tool if it could also work with earlier
>version of Com/OS.

My response:

>>Versions of the ComOS earlier than 3.8 do not have the necessary hooks
>>for our Java applications to perform either monitoring or debugging.

Was directed to Scott Hetzel explaining why the PPPDecoder wouldn't work
with earlier versions of ComOS.

At 11:07 PM 7/8/98 -0400, Stephen Zedalis wrote:
>Man this makes the red LED issue seem insignificant.

I'm sorry you think new features not being in an older ComOS is so horrible.

D. Scott Gardner sgardner@livingston.com
510.737.2217

Lucent Technologies, Remote Access Business Unit
4464 Willow Road
Pleasanton, CA 94588-8519