Re: (PM) Red LED untrusted...

Stephen Zedalis (tintype@exis.net)
Wed, 8 Jul 1998 08:57:12 -0400 (EDT)

It isn't just two ISP's with the problem. Its several and it seems to
occur or get worse when using beta 3.8 versions. I've seen numerous "me
too"'s in the last couple of days. The portmaster appears to be at fault
since the red light is on and there is absolutely nothing wrong with the
telco circuit according to the telco AND according to the PM-3 itself when
reporting D channel and line conditions. I think it probably goes red
when there is a problem, but it isn't clearing when line conditions
improve. If this is not a bug but a feature to tell you there WAS a
problem, then it needs a "clear stupid little red LED" command or an alarm
acknowledged command. Its an annoyance but not a serious problem. I
don't even know if its worth a trouble call to Lucent. Don't get me
wrong, the PM-3's are great equipment. I'm not saying the hardware is a
fault, just probably the software which I lump together in the category of
equipment. Jeez, lighten up.

On Wed, 8 Jul 1998, major wrote:

>How exactly can it be the equipment?
>
>I work for several ISP's, i had 3 of the ISP's get the Portmasters, 2 of the
>ISPS seem to be having the red light problem, other than that, everything
>seems fine, but yeah, it shouldn't happen, i read the Portmaster book, it
>says something like this "If the green and red light iluminates, contact
>your telco as the service to the Portmaster is not recognised."

Yes, and as I was saying, its probably bum dope in the manual as there is
nothing wrong with the circuit and the light still stays red. If the
light is NOT in error and the telco does have a problem, then there is
still a problem with the PM-3 if there is no obvious error reported on
both "sh isdn" or "sh linex" commands. Which bug do you believe, the
light or the commands?