Re: (PM) Linux, EQL, and MPP

Stephen Zedalis (tintype@exis.net)
Tue, 7 Jul 1998 23:39:35 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 7 Jul 1998, Roy wrote:

>Two questions about user with Linux dialing the PM-3
>
>1) Is there something in the radius file to allow EQL?

Nope, but the user has to have a static IP. Works better and faster than
Multilink PPP using NT on the same machine with the same modems.

>2) Is there anything other than EQL for multi-line dialup support for
>Linux? Anyone tested it?

Nope, I asked about Multilink PPP and got a firm <not yet> from Alan Cox
and there doesn't seem to be anyone actively working on it. Too bad too
since FreeBSD is doing it with their mpd version of User PPP.

Someone was working on it, but since Linux PPP requires kernel support,
the person submitted his patches to the kernel for it and the linux
developers shut him down. Ask Alan Cox and he can probably give you the
name of the guy. All I got from him was "here are a few snippets of code"
do you want to finish it? For something that is so potentially valuable,
I'm frankly surprised that none of the Linux developers seem interested.
Especially since the potential for a cross-port from BSD may exist.