(PM) Feature Request (was SECURITY PROBLEM.)

Christopher X. Candreva (chris@westnet.com)
Tue, 7 Jul 1998 23:19:03 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 7 Jul 1998, Rick Smith wrote:

> When an administrator here telnets to a PM3 and sets
> up debugging such that they can watch the incoming
> connections, cut and paste them into the PPP Decoder
> Ring as seen on Livingston.com, they can make sure
> that the users are entering proper passwords, etc.

Which brings up a question I've asked a few times in other places: Would
anyone else like to see more descriptive logging information, say via syslog
?

I'm in the processes of switching over from old Annex 3's to PM3. With the
old Annexen, my phone support people just 'tail /usr/annex/acp_logfile' to
see what is going on. Easy.

Having to telnet into a specific piece of hardware, when you don't really
know which one they will be comming in on, to try to figure out what someone
can't connect is a royal pain in the butt. It would be nice if reasons for
disconnects were logged via syslog (ie: Couldn't negotiate PPP: can't assign
IP address).

This way, you can just tail -f the logfile, ask the person to dial in, and
whatever error shows up around that time is theirs. You don't need to know
wich of the three PM3 in the row the person happens to be hitting this time.

Am I the only person who thinks this would be usefull ? If not, maybe we can
nag them enough to add this.

-Chris