Re: (PM) Modem not answerin

Russ Taylor (rtaylor@cmc.net)
Sun, 5 Jul 1998 12:43:12 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 5 Jul 1998, Jake Messinger wrote:

> > A 33.6 modem won't be able to transfer any faster then 57600. (for that
> > matter it's unlikly that a 56k modem would get any faster).
>
> Again wrong. Max compression thruput is 4:1, meaning if you have a 33600
> modem, you should technically run at 134400 baud. 115200 is fast enough in
> most cases. Hayes even recommended when they first came out with 336, that
> you purchase one of their high speed dsp port cards, because it is the
> COMPUTER and NOT the modem that had trouble keeping up with DTE speed.

Some USR 33.6s definitely were able to overrun their own serial port --
internal modems on fast computers, if you set them at 115k they performed
terribly, at 57.6k they worked fine. I don't know how many other modem
companies made similar design errors.

Russ Taylor (rtaylor@cmc.net, http://www.cmc.net/~rtaylor)
Chambers Multimedia Connection Help Desk
"Hoody hoo! How many hedge-ogres did I get?" -- Knights of the Dinner Table