Re: (PM) Modem not answerin

John Gonzalez/netMDC admin (ekool@ns1.netmdc.com)
Sat, 4 Jul 1998 23:03:14 -0600 (MDT)

On Sat, 4 Jul 1998, Thomas C Kinnen wrote:

> Remember V.34 does NO compression. It is a speed spec only. I think you
> may have been thinking of NMP5 and V42Bis compression each of which can
^^^

MNP5 == Microcom Network Protocol 5

Let's not forget microcom, they were (or still are?) big competition for
le in the remote access area.

> also be used on a V34 link. The amount of compression varies greatly on
> what is being transferd. On E-Mail message downloads, text based web
> pages, and telnet sessions it can help to a 4:1 ratio but is by no means
> required.

John Gonzalez
MDC Computers/netMDC! Internet Services
(505) 437-7600 / http://www.netmdc.com
11:00pm up 78 days, 10:51, 1 user, load average: 0.01, 0.02, 0.00