Re: (PM) Which router to use for BGP-4?

Scott Drassinower (scottd@cloud9.net)
Fri, 3 Jul 1998 15:30:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 3 Jul 1998, Jake Messinger wrote:

> Livingston's IRX-114 can handle 2 t1's and 2 56k' circuits and is BGP
> capable, (actually all are bgp except for the OR series),and the PM 3 can
> handle 3 t1's with the optional v.35 sync card, PLUS on the PM 3, the
> CSU/DSUs are built in.
>
> And if you are using more than 3 T1's you dont necessarily have to have
> all of them going to the same router just do to BGP. Its a protocol so the
> routers can talk to each other. and 16 megs is adequate on an IRX or Pm 3
> to hold the bgp table.

If he is going to receive full routes from his upstream ISP, 16mb is not
going to cut it at all. 64mb really is necessary, more than that is
optimal. I doubt that customer-only routes from a UUNet or MCI will even
be happy with 16.

I think the most RAM you can fit into any Lucent box that is currently
shipping is 32mb (a PM3). Dunno about the PM4.

--
 Scott M. Drassinower					    scottd@cloud9.net
 Cloud 9 Consulting, Inc.			       	     White Plains, NY