Re: (PM) Which router to use for BGP-4?

Jordyn A. Buchanan (jordyn@bestweb.net)
Fri, 3 Jul 1998 15:23:52 -0400

At 8:53 PM +0200 7/3/98, Christian Schmit wrote:

>We are moving over to PI addresses and therefore
>we need to use BGP-4 with our provider as we are
>also going to be multihomed.
>
>Now my question is relatively easy:
>Which CISCO router do we need?
>Our ISP recommends a CISCO 4500 or better.
>Will the new CISCO 3600 series also do the
>job? We need to be able to handle the full
>BGP-4 feed. We were recommended to use 64MB
>of RAM.
>
>Any advices on which equipment to use?

Well, as this is the Portmaster user's mailing list, it's probably worth
keeping in mind that various Lucent RABU equipment will handle full BGP
feeds, and apparently with substantially more efficient use of memory than
Cisco routers.

If you do go for the Cisco, the 4500-M will only take 32 megs of RAM; when
I tried to make ours handle 3 BGP views like this, it didn't work very
well. A 4700-M will take 64 megs of RAM, but I really think you're better
off with a 3640, which can be loaded with 128 megs of RAM and has a faster
processor than a 4500.

Jordyn

|Jordyn A. Buchanan mailto:jordyn@bestweb.net |
|Bestweb Corporation http://www.bestweb.net |
|Director of Technology +1.914.271.4500 |