Re: (PM) SLC Series-5 -> PM2E (fwd)

Mike Taylor (taylor@syrinx.jeffnet.org)
Wed, 1 Jul 1998 11:58:56 +0000 ( )

On Wed, 24 Jun 1998, Kyle Platts wrote:

> Jerry Bacon wrote:
> >
> > > To the best of my knowledge, I have never seen or heard of a device
> > > putting more than one voice call on a single DS0. I know for certain
> > > that it is NEVER done in a SLC-96.
> >
> > It can be done in most SLCs that I know of. It's called ADPCM and it allows
> > each DS0 to carry two voice calls. I don't know which particular brands or
> > how they are provisioned, but it IS done. And it will certainly cut the
> > modem bandwidth way down.
>
> I can guarantee that we do not do it.

I will grant you that may be "Official Policy".
However, I don't think you will be able to convince anyone that in a
growing rural area that "the company" won't MUX things up until more cable
can be laid. The commonality of reports concerning the "Urban" makes me
wonder, especially since one of my local techs referred to it as "your own
central office in-a-box", and none of my users who go thru it get above
around 21.