Re: (PM) 56k V.90 on PM2 (fwd)

James Laszko (james@tfbnet.com)
Tue, 30 Jun 1998 12:14:30 -0700

At 11:42 AM 6/30/98 , you wrote:
>Once upon a time Portmaster User shaped the electrons to say...
>> Does Portmaster 2 supports 56K modems V90 ? I have to upgrade
>>something?
>
>PCM modems (K56flex, X2, V.90) *REQUIRE* a digital line. That means ISDN
>or CT1. You CANNOT setup a dialin server for PCM modems using POTS lines.
>
>Yes, you can put external digital modems on a PM-2, like a 3Com MP-16/I,
>but you still need those digital lines coming in. You are much better
>off selling the PM-2 and getting a PM-3 with PRI ISDN or a CT1.

Yeah! You should be able to sell the PM2 for about $500, buy the PM3 for
>$10K and be set!

I beg to differ MZ.... For people who already have an existing capital
investment in legacy "analog" equipment, purchasing something like a Compaq
4000 modem chassis with T1/56K capabilities is a lot more cost effective...

Sure you can't do MLPPP or MCPPP quite as easily (MCPPP not at all) - but
the thousands of dollars in difference makes it worth it.

James Laszko - Systems Administrator - TFBnet - http://www.tfb.com
james@tfbnet.com - http://www.tfb.com/james
P.O. Box 2828 - Fallbrook, CA - 92088 - USA
(760) 728-7920, (760) 728-6572 [Fax]

finger james@gate.tfb.com for PGP Public Key
fingerprint: 26A5 731C A2F9 49EC A7F9 F9DE A740 818E 4D53 7556