Re: (PM) ITU v.90 info

jon-lists (jonlist@flanet.com)
Tue, 30 Jun 1998 14:39:32 -0400

At 05:45 PM 6/29/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Once again, no one in the "real world" really cares if the final standard
>won't be out until September. What we care about is interoperability
>with the v.90 that is shipping today. Or didn't you want k56flex support
>in the PM-3? THAT'S not even a standard.

I agree totally here...v.90 modems ARE shipping, and they ARE flooding into
the marketplace, no matter what the ITU-T defines as a date to make a
recommendation. It sounds to me like the modem mfgs have already spoken by
going to CompUSA, BestBuy, etc..etc.. and just taking a look at whats on
the shelf.

Basically what we have here is the consumer marketplace forcing the ISP's
to support v.90, and currently we're left out in the cold.

Even though, I find that the most important protocol to me right now is
v.34. It's the majority of our connections it seems. But i've had about
10-15 calls in the last week or so asking about v.90. I just keep telling
them to keep their pants on because i'm waiting for final code for our
access servers, and the beta code we were using broke v.34 for quite a few
people, which is definitely not something that I can live with.

I'll just keep patiently waiting, what else can I do..

Definitely not the right idea, but maybe they should put some of the other
features on the back burner and just get a bare bones POP ComOS that all
the protocols actually work correctly. I bet a really high percentage of
PM3 users are just setting them on a LAN with two PRI/CT1 connected and
using them as POP for internet access. In that case all you really need is
radius, the modem protocols, and maybe snmp. There's alot of stuff in the
ComOS that probably doesn't get used by a majority of ISP. And if you're a
large corporation that has it for dialin to the network, you probably
spec'd your modem for the client side and made sure it would fit the bill,
you don't care about v.90. Keep using 3.7.2.c3.

(this is a bad solution as a whole, but maybe a good ISP one.. i might be
way off base.. who knows.. i'm sure i'll get corrected if am :P )
:)
Jon