(PM) Chan. T1 Provisioning

Tony Schliesser (aschlies@citynet.net)
Sun, 28 Jun 1998 20:12:36 -0400

I want to use PM3's in a place where PRi's are not available. Call my Bell
Atlantic rep and asked if they could provide Chan. T1.

The answer was yes and that its available in two flavors:
1. DID (direct inward dial)
2. Multiplex (also called line side mux) where 24 phone lines are muxed and
send to me over T1.

Ok, option 2 sucks. It has atleast 2 analog to digital conversions -- 56k
has no chance.

Option 1 is a bit unfamiliar to me. its 24 channels of phone lines (24 of
course) and this comes directly from the switch. Unfortunately, the bell
rep when describing to me asked how many Digits and such I need for my
equipment. After explaining the PM3 and that DID (where Y phone numbers maps
to X number of channels on the circuit and the PBX on the other end of the T
decodes via the call by the digits passed to it from the switch -- enabling
the PBX to correctly route the call to the right extension) is not important
to me as it applies to a PBX.

Looking at the port master config guide, I see that I can use FXS (which
uses immediate start on the PM3) for the signaling (framing and encoding are
not a problem here). If I use the DID thingy BA is talking about, will the
PM3 ignore the "digits" sent used for decoding in a PBX?? Not being up on
the finer points of telco jargon, I would appreciate any hints, guides, etc
to getting the Chan T1. provisioned correctly for a PM3.

Thanks
Tony