Re: (PM) RADIUS: Best place for passwords

Samudra E. Haque (haque@pradeshta.net)
Sun, 28 Jun 1998 21:21:07 -0500

Dave Burgess wrote:

> 4) It keeps my password file down to an extremely short 200 to 300
> lines, instead of the 16,000 lines it used to be.
> 5) It makes replication of the files for the backup RADIUS
> authenticator more secure (no clleart

if you have 16000 users, shouldn't you have sixteen thousand lines
in your password file (which I assume would be /etc/shadow;
/etc/password?)

-samudra-

> In the *BSD family of systems, shadow password databases (which make the
> process VERY scalable) are not just 'available' but are the primary
> (only?) way to do password authentication with the system.

what do you mean scalable? bigger and better servers for the users?