Re: (PM) Courier I-Modem to PM3 DOVBS? (fwd)

Christopher Masto (chris@netmonger.net)
Fri, 26 Jun 1998 14:10:23 -0400

On Thu, Jun 25, 1998 at 05:26:41PM -0700, MegaZone wrote:
> Once upon a time Christopher Masto shaped the electrons to say...
> >Courier I-modem (their top-of-the line ISDN TA) hangs up before
> >establishing a 56k data-over-voice ISDN connection to the PM3. It
> >seem not to like the PM3's attempt to answer it as an analog call, and
> >drops the instant the initial v.8bis tone is heard.
>
> WHOA! If you are hearing v.8bis then the PM-3 is NOT doing DOSBS, it
> sees it as a modem. Which means the USR is doing something wrong. If
> it really were an ISDN DOSBS call you would never hear any modem tones,
> period. The PM would connect it to the HDLC controller. The only time
> you get modem tones is when the PM has tried HDLC and it just wasn't
> there - so it hands it to a modem. I know this works, no question.

Ah, so the ISDN is tried first?

I think I'm hearing modem tones. The I-modem, oddly, has a speaker on
while making ISDN connections. It sounds like the "bleep-bloop" one
hears at the beginning of an analog call, but cuts off a tenth of a
second into the "bloop". And of course I'm hearing this over the
phone as the customer tries it. I could be hearing something else,
but I don't think so. Are there debugging flags that show
specifically when it tries ISDN, gives up, and tries analog?

--
Christopher Masto        Director of Operations      NetMonger Communications
chris@netmonger.net        info@netmonger.net        http://www.netmonger.net

Appeasement, said Winston Churchill, consists of being nice to a crocodile in the hope that he will eat you last. At the moment, the biggest crocodile in the world is Microsoft, and everybody is busy sucking up to it. - JOHN NAUGHTON, the London Observer - To unsubscribe, email 'majordomo@livingston.com' with 'unsubscribe portmaster-users' in the body of the message. Searchable list archive: <URL:http://www.livingston.com/Tech/archive/>