(PM) 3.8b17 - That Bastard @! session is happening here too!!

Jeff Cartwright (jeff@planet.net)
Fri, 26 Jun 1998 11:11:25 -0400

>From: James Laszko <james@tfbnet.com>
>Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 20:13:16 -0700
>Subject: (PM) Megahurts (hehe) vs. B17 code

>I had a user start having problems with a Megahertz XJ1560 PC Card
modem
>after we upgraded to B17 code. When he logs in, he gets a "Unable to
>negotiate compatible set of network prots....". Turning on a terminal
>window after dialing shows a big, empty, black screen where no login
prompt
>ever appears. Doing a "show sess" shows a login name of @! on his
port,
>and he's eventually disconnected. His modem has been upgraded to the
3com
>V.90 code.

>Any ideas on a fix for this? (I had to have him dial into my Compaq
>ISPortes - which by the way actually do great V90
connections...amazingly
>enough).

We getting that @! crap here too... Here are a few observations...

1) It seems to be port specific.. not customer specific.. We have it
happeing on the same three ports in a 48 port box.. AND it is split
across both PRIs

2) It is definitly an aboration of 3.8b17

3) Rebooting seem to work for a short while but it comes back within
hours on different ports.. Were going to back down to b15 this
morning....

4) I copied this to support@livingston .. hope they get it in the right
hands... It's a good one...

Here is a thought.... What if this problem was happening all along but
in 3.8b17 they added a visual clue (the @! string) to help us find it?
hmmm. Very interesting.

Jeff Cartwright
Network Buddah