Re: (PM) Megahurts (hehe) vs. B17 code

Blaz Zupan (blaz@gold.amis.net)
Fri, 26 Jun 1998 08:55:08 +0200 (CEST)

> >On Thu, Jun 25, 1998 at 08:13:16PM -0700, James Laszko wrote:
> >> negotiate compatible set of network prots....". Turning on a terminal
> >> window after dialing shows a big, empty, black screen where no login prompt
> >> ever appears. Doing a "show sess" shows a login name of @! on his port,
> >> and he's eventually disconnected. His modem has been upgraded to the 3com
> >> V.90 code.
>
> Weird, I only have this problem with 1 of our PM3's after going to B17. At
> one point I saw 6 users trying to connect and the @! showing up. Everyone
> who called in said they received the message "Unable to negotiate
> compatible set of network protocols" and were disconnected. I tried it out

I seem to be having the same set of problems here. Just tried dialing in
to our PM3 with my Sportster (with kermit under unix, no PPP or anything).
Got a CONNECT and then nothing. Pressing anything (enter, space, ...) does
not produce anything on screen. Hung up and dialed again, got the expected
login prompt. Hung up and dialed again, again only CONNECT and no login
prompt. I haven't checked what the login shows up in "show session" but I
guess it probably is @!. And it's really nasty: I just tried reproducing
this problem, dialed in about 5 times and everytime got a login prompt. I
guess it is Murphy playing with me....

As far as I can see, it happens in about 20% of the logins over here (but
it seems like it is dependend on how many users are logged into the box,
as right now it is rather empty and I cannot reproduce the problem). I'm
just waiting for a really quiet moment to go back to 3.8b13, which was
really stable for us.

> myself several times with various modems and at times only got a black
> screen with no login prompt. Going back to b13 instantly solved the
> problem. I guess we will have to wait awhile longer before being able to
> implement a stable os supporting v90.

Yes, very unfortunatelly :( On the other side, 3com has still not released
V.90 code for the european Sportsters/Couriers, so actually I really don't
care much as everybody else can use K56flex.

Blaz Zupan, blaz@medinet.si, http://home.amis.net/blaz
Medinet d.o.o., Linhartova 21, 2000 Maribor, Slovenia