Re: (PM) New PM3 question...

Josh Richards (jrichard@livingston.com)
Thu, 25 Jun 1998 17:07:45 -0700 (PDT)

On 25 Jun 1998, Mia's Virtual Post Office wrote:

> Hello, the last PM3 we got in here I booted up via ethernet not the null
> modem cable. Everything went fine, yet I cannot remember exactly how I
> did it. The problem I am having is getting my latest PM3 an IP address.
> I just got the box in today. I tried booting through the PM Console via
> ethernet as I have done before and it was a no go. So I decided to try
> the Null modem cable. I have never been able to get this to work. (hence
> the reason I do it the other way.) I have a null modem cable and have
> connected one end to the CO port on the PM3, I have set the dip switch #1
> Up, I connected the other end of the null modem cable to my PC's serial
> port(printer port, I assume) I have tried every terminal program I can
> think of and find none that will work. I assume I need to set my
> terminal program to LPT1 not one of the COM ports as this null modem
> cable is plugged into the serial port not a com port. Can anyone
> recommend the best way to get an IP on the unit so I can configure it?
> Also, if I have to use the null modem cable and terminal program setup,
> what term program should I be using? Thanx in advance...

A serial port IS a COM port. The null modem cable is to be plugged into
a serial/com port. Your terminal program should then be set to that port
you have the cable attached to (NOT the printer port).

-jr

----
Josh Richards - <jrichard@livingston.com> - <josh@lucent.com>
[Beta Engineer] - LUCENT Technologies - Remote Access Business Unit
<URL:http://www.livingston.com/> * <URL:http://www.lucent.com/dns/>