Re: (PM) Line1 to Line1 (or maybe just a dumb question) (fwd)

Kyle Platts (kwplat1@uswest.com)
Thu, 25 Jun 1998 10:06:02 -0500

Dick St.Peters wrote:

> The first internal (POP-to-POP) T1 I had (still have) ran for nearly a
> year with both ends set to take clock from the network. However, it
> ran cleaner when someone finally clued me in that I was supposed to be
> supplying clock at one.
>
> When there's data on the line, clocking seems to be unnecessary - at
> least with Adtran TSUs.

In my experience, the better the clock recovery in the units, the less
amount they slip.

> Question for Kyle: We'll finally have frame here soon. Is it true
> that frame supplies the clocking - or are frame "lines" still
> transparent?

Both!

The transport between the frame relay switch and the end-user is
transparent. In our network, our frame switches provide the timing and
the end-user takes timing from the loop. There are very few exceptions.

--
Kyle Platts
Network Engineer