Re: (PM) Traffic bottleneck? No DNS?

System Administration Staff (root@mwis.net)
Thu, 25 Jun 1998 08:16:28 -0500 (CDT)

I've noticed the same problem with 3.7.2c3, again only under high traffic
situations. These pm3's I'm referring to are new (<3 months old). Also,
since 90% (more?) of my dialup customers are running Win95, it's a safe
bet that the probs show up more often in Win95

In some informal experimentation, I noticed -
- the PPP negotiation works okay - user gets authed, IP address, DNS
servers, default route, etc.
- I can slip a small amount of data through initially; i.e. one ping
packet or one DNS lookup
- then the infamous "Waiting for reply. . ." on the user side, or
timed-out pings, etc.
- I can [almost] always still ping the pm3 directly, but nothing beyond
it. I'd believe it's a routing problem except 1) 1st packet(s)
transmitted ok, and 2) other users work with the same routing table and
the same dynamic IP's

This is _release_ software, not beta.