Re: (PM) 3 easy steps to cratering your PM3 with b17

Jake Messinger (jake@ams.com)
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 12:30:45 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 24 Jun 1998, Chris J. Magnuson wrote:

> I tried doing a netboot and using the serial port to upload a new ComOS
> with the brand spankin new Troubleshooting Guide instructions, but it gags
> on tftp after about 42% or so, no matter which host platform/server

Yuck, try ftp to a boot server.. try 207.235.58.129. Ill leave it up for a
while. Serial is SLOW and less reliable.

> software is used for tftp (Win95 or UNIX). Tech support didn't know how the
> download command worked, and the Troubleshooting Guide is horked on this
> count (start the download before the PM3 is turned on? Huh?).

IMO This is not good. Get the name of the tech support person and then ask
for the tech support manager so he can instruct the tech support person
you got how to do this or where to look for it. This is a pretty important
thing to be able to do. Did they offer to tftpboot it for you and reflash?
Ive had them do it for me before with no questions asked. They just
offered.

My GUESS is that since its stopping at EXACTLY the same spot, it can be 2
things, 1 the RAM is bad, or 2, the generic image is bad. Try swapping ram
(if you have any that is). Or try downloading a new GENERIC.PM3 image.

> Tech support rep I talked to said it would be a "security problem" for them
> to design it so that a jumper on the motherboard couldn't put the box back
> in a sane state.

There IS a way, but it is DIFFICULT and NOT recommended or allowed and Im
sure would void the warranty, plus its easy to damage the flash chip(s).
So for practical purposes, no, there is no way to do it.

But thats not really my point. I agree with you that it would be EXTREMELY
helpful to have a jumper to do what the MAX boxes do, which is, reset the
box back to factory presets. Otherwise you have to call tech support which
is NOT that bad, because they will take a password call IMMEDIATELY.
However, suppose its a Friday night and you typoed on the password. You
are screwed til Monday morning.

Good luck and let us know how it went.

Jake Messinger ph:713-772-6690 Lucent Dealer
AMS, Inc. fx:713-774-3498 Medical Billing
8300 Bissonnet #400 jake@ams.com Internet Services
Houston, Texas 77074 www.ams.com/~jake Business Management