RE: (PM) SLC Series-5 -> PM2E (fwd)

Chad Scott (chads@livingston.com)
Mon, 22 Jun 1998 13:15:55 -0700

On Monday, June 22, 1998 11:29 AM, Dick St.Peters
[SMTP:stpeters@NetHeaven.com] wrote:
> > > I've been told that if the SLC is a real SLC, meaning an AT&T (now
> > > Lucent I suppose) SLC-96, you can only get 26.4 no matter what mode
> > > they run the SLC in, due to an analog bandwidth limitation of the
> > > "RPOTS" (Remote POTS) cards.
> >
> > I'm not sure how correct this is. In San Antonio, Texas (Southwestern
> > Bell land), they're using Lucent 5ESS swithes with Lucent SLC's. I've
> > gotten *solid* 33,600 connections over analog lines that went through
an
> > SLC out there.
>
> What model SLC? If they're new enough to be labelled Lucent instead
> of AT&T, they may not be representative of the bulk of installed
> plant.

Oh I have no idea. They're not new though. I wasn't actually digging
around inside the SLC... I just happened to see it in passing. I do know
the entire cabinet (or the majority of the cabinet) was running mode-1
because the telco technician I was with rewired me because I was having a
ton of problems. He called HQ and asked them where in the cabinet he could
install my line and they told him anywhere because it was all mode-1.

If I remember correctly, the SLC was labeled "AT&T", so it's at least two
years old.

> I wouldn't be surprised to find a lot of things being done for new
> installations are a lot different from what they used to be. For
> example, when SLCs were fed with copper Ts, it was a significant cost
> savings to run them with only 2 Ts plus a spare. When the Ts are on
> fiber, it might actually be cheaper to run them all with 4 Ts plus
> spare and have only a single model of termination card for which to
> inventory spares.

I wouldn't be surprised if these were copper fed from a fiber junction
nearby. San Antonio has a good amount of fiber in place. Southwestern
Bell is installing it exclusively for trunking, I believe.

Chad Scott +1.925.737.2209 (Direct)
Beta Engineer +1.800.458.9966 x2209 (Switchboard)
Lucent Technologies +1.925.737.2110 (Facsimile)
Remote Access Business Unit chads@livingston.com
D176 D9E0 BFE2 1F18 B95A 3EF0 92DE A016 E89B 503D