Re: (PM) Modem connection difficulties

John W Baxter (jwblist@olympus.net)
Sun, 21 Jun 1998 19:11:59 -0700

At 19:56 -0500 6/21/98, System Administration Staff wrote:
>I've noticed a disturbing new pattern of connection problems forming with
>my users. I'm running PM3's with ComOS 3.7.2 and K56Flex modems installed.
>
>A caller will dial in and get connected at good speeds (40+ K with a Kflex
>modem, 33.6 with a V.34). However, _often_ she will not be able to
>transfer data. No name resolution, no pinging (name or number), etc. She
>seems to be assigned an IP address (winipcfg in Win95) as well as name
>server address, all of which are correct. The darned connection just
>refuses to transfer data. This user states that the same problem happens
>with both her Jaton Modulator56 (rockwell chip) and her Atlas 33.6 on two
>different boxes, but with the same phone line. And (of course), she can
>connect to the local Bell internet service at light speed every time.
>
>The bad part - she's an example out of a group of about 10 such calls I
>fielded this week. Any ideas?

Here, most of these turn out to be a user with an additional mailbox
account dialing in on that and trying to use non-mail Internet services.

Show Snn will show you (but perhaps not your front-line support techs) what
filters are applied to the connection. [We're about to make it easier for
the techs to find this out.]

If you had a flood of these recently, perhaps one of your filters became
damaged??

--John

John Baxter
General OlympusNet messages to: tcijb@olympus.net