Re: (PM) Hardware failures for PM3??

Chad Scott (chads@livingston.com)
Sat, 20 Jun 1998 02:24:43 -0700 (PDT)

On 19 Jun 1998, Chris Trown wrote:

> How many of you have had a PM3 actually FAIL such that it had to be
> returned for repair? Did Lucent drop ship a replacement unit?

If a unit has problems, contact support via telephone. They will attempt
to resolve the problem and will cross-ship you a replacement if needed.

> Any interesting stories you would be willing to relate?

My previous employer had a PM3 with a bad flash chip in it. Lucent (then
Livingston) shipped me a replacement, I pulled out the bad PM3, replaced
it with the new PM3, and shipped the old one back. No problem.

> In the 4 years+ that I have had PM2s(six of them), I have had only one
> failure. To me, that's a good record.

=). They're like Energizer Bunnies.

> I'd rather spent support contract money on PRIs and I need a defense to
> keep money from being wasted. There's a little bit of politics going on here,
> that's why I'm asking about PM3s when I have PM2s.

Why do you need a support contract on PRIs? Won't the phone company fix
them for free if they're broken? If they won't, it's time to investigate
a CLEC.

Chad Scott
Beta Engineer
Lucent Technologies