Re: (PM) Stable v.90

Karl Denninger (karl@Mcs.Net)
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 13:32:44 -0500

On Wed, Jun 17, 1998 at 01:27:38PM -0500, Larry Vaden wrote:
> Karl,
>
> Are you OK with 3.7.2c3?
>
> If not, what problems are you seeing on 3.7.2c3?
>
> Perhaps another good question is what version are you running?

We are running 3.7.2c3 on some of our PM3s (our Milwaukee plant and half of
Chicago) and are testing a non-released (ie: non-public) version on our
other half of our Chicago plant.

The "test" version has exactly one problem that I know of that is VERY
serious and that will probably bite the majority of you. If it wasn't
for that I'd tell you to ask for that version of code if you're having
trouble with b15, but with that problem in there I can't recommend it.

People running "integrated" ISDN/analog are in for more trouble; NEITHER
of these releases is, IMHO, suitable for that environment right now. We run
split plant, and as it turns out that happens to be both important and
good for us at the present time (or we'd be in a lot more serious trouble).

b13, which was the prior-to-b15 release, lacks V.90 but is the most stable
V.34 and KFlex version we've seen so far. It has, however, broken SLIP.

The "non-public" version is easily the best around right now EXCEPT for the
one crippling problem. If Lucent will STOP SCREWING AROUND with trying to
get other things working in that version, fix this ONE problem (which can't
be all that hard to do, as this is a new bug and WAS working in all versions
we've had, public beta and private, for a long time) and get that out to
people the 90% percentile of trouble should be fixed.

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/          | T1's from $600 monthly / All Lines K56Flex/DOV