Re: (PM) If you want a new BETA *now* read this.

Larry Vaden (vaden@texoma.net)
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 06:30:23 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Carlson <mike@net-quest.com>
To: portmaster-users@livingston.com <portmaster-users@livingston.com>
Date: Wednesday, June 17, 1998 4:55 AM
Subject: (PM) If you want a new BETA *now* read this.

| I'm not saying that everyone using b16 is having this problem, I
|don't know, but from my personal experience I am happy that Lucent is not
|releasing this code to you. You should be happy Lucent is not releasing
|this code to you. I assure you that all of you complaining now would
|complain ten times louder if Lucent caved and allowed you to load this
|software onto your PM3's and then have the results I have had.

| Lucent is working with me to get this corrected and I am sure that
|they are working as hard with the others running b16 so that they can have
|another *stable* public BETA release ASAP. They are very concerned with
|the quality of the product they put out and I respect them for taking the
|time to get it right. Better late than broken.

You seem to be confirming that significant energies are being spent by
Lucent/Livingston on new software for new cards, like the WAN card. That's
good.

Perhaps more important, though, is that a claimed 2,000 ISPs are counting on
L/L to answer the phone when it rings, negotiate with the client modem, and
do data transfers at competitive speeds until the customer wishes to hang
up.

This is not about releasing bad code early (like 3.7, as a recent example
and then "working with me to get this corrected"), but about releasing GOOD
code for a spec (V.34) in a timely fashion.