Re: (PM) piece of junk

Stephen Fisher (lithium@cia-g.com)
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 11:32:52 -0600

<Cisco supporter>

Agreed, they actually have about 20 different models in just the 2500 line.
With Cisco you do pay partially for the price (whats new with that in this
world?) but you pay for usefulness. I have long trashed using Livingston's
as routers when they screw up and have HUGE frame-relay bugs that take
months to fix which causes an entire POP to fail - not good.

Cisco configuration is simpiler than one would think, it has a simple setup
feature which lets you get it going with just a few questions.

Once you learn the commands, you can configure an entire router in less than
10-15 minutes. You can configure them to do anything you would like.
Livingston is just now barely catching up on some really useful features
that Cisco has had all along (like subinterfaces and multiple ip addresses
on Ethernet.

</Cisco supporter>

cat flames > /dev/null

On Mon, Jun 15, 1998 at 10:40:37AM -0500, Rick Krug wrote:

> The 2514 has two Ethernet ports, and two WAN ports. If you need to
> Ethernet ports, I believe the Firewall IRX, which has two Ethernet ports
> (but only one WAN port).
>
> The cisco 2500's are not that difficult to confifure, and the
> documentation available at cisco's site is very good. The on-line help
> also is pretty good. In most cases, configuring an interface can be done
> with one or two commands.
>
> On Mon, 15 Jun 1998, Scott Rothgaber wrote:
>
> > Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 10:02:16 -0400
> > From: Scott Rothgaber <scott@easley.net>
> > To: Portmaster-users@livingston.com
> > Subject: Re: (PM) piece of junk
> >
> > On 15 Jun 98, at 0:42, Dennis D. Baker, Jr wrote:
> >
> > > it takes a rocket
> > > scientist to configure and maintain a Cisco.
> >
> > Aw, man! Is this true? Like Dennis, I do not have tons of time to
> > spend on one specific task. Does Lucington make something that rivals
> > the 2514 (I think that's the one... 2 WAN's, 1 LAN) with filtering,
> > statistics, etc? If so, that would be great, 'cause when you purchase
> > a Cisco, a *lot* of what you're paying for is the name.
> >

> > * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> > * *
> > * Easley Internet Solutions AIM: ExCavSGT *
> > * Easley, SC USA ICQ: 10722606 *
> > * http://www.easley.net 864.859.2400 *
> > * *
> >

> -
> To unsubscribe, email 'majordomo@livingston.com' with
> 'unsubscribe portmaster-users' in the body of the message.

 - Steve
  - Systems Manager
  - Community Internet Access, Inc.
  - Gallup and Grants, New Mexico