Re: (PM) Slow throughput

Doug Ingraham (dpi@rapidnet.com)
Sat, 13 Jun 1998 15:01:22 -0600 (MDT)

On Sat, 13 Jun 1998, Carl Schrader wrote:

> I just took a look at sh netstat and got:
>
> Name Ipkts Ierrs Opkts Oerrs Collis Resets Queue
> ether0 85813996 89 93199229 45 587169 128 0
>
> The collisions seem high...is it and if so..what should I look for as
> the problem?

Those are not high. That is only 0.6%. Collisions rates of 20% are
tolerable under certain circumstances. What I would worry about is the
resets. You really shouldn't have any. Something on your network is
causing them. I have one pm2 that has been up on 3.7.2 for 155 days. It
has 20 analog pots lines and a 5BRI card and is used with lots of
dedicated 24/7 connections and it has zero resets and a collision ratio of
0.06% but it is on a switched hub.

I recommend getting a switched hub when you get to 5-10% collisions.

Doug Ingraham The best defense against logic is ignorance.
Rapid City, SD
USA