Re: (PM) Testing Modems

John W Baxter (jwblist@olympus.net)
Sat, 13 Jun 1998 12:08:24 -0700

I hadn't realized this is a problem. I do my attaching from any of several
telnet clients on my Macs, whether dialed in from home or on ethernet at
the office. In all cases, ^] closes the attach command and leaves the
telnet session running.

>From the Unix command line, use
telnet -e X ...
which makes X the "outer" escape character for the session, and leaves ^]
for ending attaches. Pick a convenient X.

>From Windows, you're on your own (no experience here). The two-session
method sounds workable.

--John

>Here's a trick I've used to do this:
>
>Open two telnet windows to the same PM. Use one window for the attach
>operation, and when done use the other window to "reset Sx", which is the
>port you attached to. You will see in the other window "connection
>closed", and it will be ready for the next attach operation.
>
>Doug
>
>On Thu, 11 Jun 1998, Stephen Zedalis wrote:
>

>> While we are on the subject... If you telnet into a PM and "attach" to a
>> port to give the modem at commands, is there any graceful way of
>> unattaching from the port and returning to the PM command prompt other
>> than closing down the telnet session and starting a new one (Which can be
>> a pain if you have to do alot of modems)?
>>
>> The attach feature is pretty well undocumented and I haven't seen the
>> answer to this one.
>>
>> On Wed, 10 Jun 1998, Chad Schwartz wrote:
>>
>> >#1) Call them
>> >
>> >#2) attach s1 (or whatever port they are on) and AT<whatever>
>>
>> -
>> To unsubscribe, email 'majordomo@livingston.com' with
>> 'unsubscribe portmaster-users' in the body of the message.
>>

>-
>To unsubscribe, email 'majordomo@livingston.com' with
>'unsubscribe portmaster-users' in the body of the message.

John Baxter   jwblist@olympus.net      Port Ludlow, WA, USA
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.  Teach him to fish,
and you get rid of him for the weekend.