RE: (PM) V.90 bitching

Jose de Leon (jadiel@thevision.net)
Thu, 11 Jun 1998 11:10:24 -0700

I can explain the big rush in two reasons.

1. Yes, we do want to support the USR modems.
2. We didn't buy USR servers because they are piece of crap.

I can support #2 with experience, I succumbed to the USR hype and fever and
bought a USR X2 server. Biggest mistake I ever made. They are not
efficient, have many bugs, support is terrible with USR.

I will never buy a USR server again. The client modems are okay, but the
server products are terrible. Now, if there is anybody here who actually
likes USR servers, would you please buy mine? Make me an inquiry in private
to jadiel@thevision.net

Thanks,
Jose

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-portmaster-users@livingston.com
[mailto:owner-portmaster-users@livingston.com]On Behalf Of Brian Elfert
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 1998 10:43 AM
To: portmaster-users@livingston.com
Subject: (PM) V.90 bitching

I assume that the reason everyone is screaming about the V.90 delay is
because they want to support USR client modems at 56K speeds.

If you have a PM3, then when you bought it, you knew you couldn't support
USR client modems at 56K speeds. PM3s and USR client modems have been
incompatible at 56K speeds for over a year now. Why the big rush now?

If everyone has this need to support USR client modems, why didn't you
buy a USR server product? If you had done so, you could have been
supporting USR clients for over a year.

Personally, I have three Total Control racks and two PM3s so I support
both x2 and K56Flex. Adding V.90 to the Total Control racks was really
just an added bonus, as I already supported both USR and non-USR 56K
modems.

Operationally, the Total Controls are a nightmare, but they work 99% of
the time once configured. From a network standpoint, I could have a
better network if USR supported OSPF.

Once V.90 is stable on the PM3, I'm seriously thinking of junking two of
my Total Controls, and getting PM3s as replacements.

Brian