Re: (PM) v.90 code

I don't work for Lucent RABU (livingston@iav.com)
Tue, 9 Jun 1998 17:51:21 -1000 (HST)

On Tue, 9 Jun 1998, Paul Popper wrote:

> Well I think it's time for some serious ragging on this list. It's
> about time we users got a working release/beta that let's our PM3s
> do ALL of:
> - OSPF over WAN links
> - SLIP (I never heard why that was dropped from the beta)
uhm, like beta code so it was to proof v.90 first...

> - V.90
?? from what I hear it's pretty decent, it's the legacy code aka old 28.8
modems or USR v.34 that are having problems...

> The Lucent/Livingston policy of refusing to give an ETA smells a
> bit. Paul.

They've always been like this since I've bought equipment from them, I
appreciate the candor and would rather wait and have my clients wait for
solid code than to do a flavor of the month/week like Ascend (no
reflection on you Kevin ;)

Realize that ISPs are NOT their entire business, so they must cater to the
markets that they have targetted, whatever that may be. Many on the list
are ISPs, so it appears disproportional when we post here about the trials
and tribulations that we may have.

Pretty much if you don't like it, buy something else... Lucent RABU will
not bend over if they don't consider it worth the manpower to work on some
issues and on other issues they are putting their best effort, but that
can still take time.

Bleeding edge is for risk-takers and if you want to do such that is your
prerogative. Do NOT force your philosophy on another company however that
does have a history of solid reliable products.

Last, realize that this has been hashed over, commented on, replied to, in
near ad infinitum, and if you go through the archives you will
consistently see the same replies from Lucent RABU employees. Please do
not bring this up here again, unless it is to 'poll' other people to get a
FIRM count of how many would like to have certain business aspects altered
at Lucent RABU. Only upon getting a significant number of such users will
you be able to coherently and validly discuss the situations involved.

Does that make sense or will we continue to uselessly banter about on
something that will not change ...

--
Aloha from Paradise,

Sherwood