Re: (PM) "standard" filter rules for Portmaster IRX

Josh Richards (jrichard@livingston.com)
Mon, 8 Jun 1998 00:56:41 -0700 (PDT)

On 6 Jun 1998, Fred Martin wrote:

> I've been hunting for hours but have been unable to find sample filter
> rules for some basic packet filtering stuff.
[..]
> But why re-invent this wheel? Can someone direct me to a resource?
>
> Basically I need a rule set that will allow standard SMTP both directions
> between two fixed hosts, allow HTTP outbound, fpt outbound, telnet
> outbound, and telnet inbound from several fixed hosts. Everything else
> except perhaps ICMP would be denied.
>
> Even samples that are close would be helpful.
>
> Are there "sample" packet filter rulesets for The Portmaster, available
> someplace?

Along with some of the examples contained in the Configuration guide many
filters for allowing things like SMTP only or FTP only or whatever can be
found in the list archives posted by various individuals:

<URL:http://www.livingston.com/Tech/archive/>

You may want to follow the link to the Dataman archives on the above link
to do the actual search query, as we are still working on indexing the
entire set of pm-users archives in our search engine.

-jr

----
Josh Richards - <jrichard@livingston.com> - <josh@lucent.com>
[Beta Engineer] - LUCENT Technologies - Remote Access Business Unit
<URL:http://www.livingston.com/> * <URL:http://www.lucent.com/dns/>