Re: (PM) PM Console & IRX

Joe Hartley (jh@metheny.brainiac.com)
Thu, 4 Jun 1998 12:50:53 -0400 (EDT)

Andrew Doolittle <andy@livingston.com> wrote:
> At 10:46 PM 6/2/98 -0500, John Nowack wrote:
> >>You're probably all expecting me to say this, but please use Amber not
> >>pmconsole. The pmconsole line has been discontinued.

Amber^WPMVision is a nice program, but it makes me nervous that a program
that is not officially released as a non-beta program is the blessed
interface! Fortunately, beta code from Livingston is more stable than
many vendors' officially released stuff!

One thing I'd like to see, though, is a copy of the JRE distributed on the
same CD as Amber for the various platforms. I've had to go into sites more
than once where installing PMConsole from the Livingston CD has made me a
hero. It's less effective to go to a site and say "OK, here's the program,
but you have to download and install another program before it'll work!"

> >There is one thing that Amber can't do: Run on an ASCII terminal telnetted
> >back to your host from a remote POP. Something I have had to more than
> >one time.
[ snip ]
> >I wish Lucent would reconsider this. There is a *lot* to be said for text-
> >mode tools.

Other than saving/restoring PM configurations, what can't be done through a
good old telnet session? Anyway, I'm glad Lucent isn't forgetting about
command line users. It's an important thing.