Re: (PM) PM Console & IRX

Andrew Doolittle (andy@livingston.com)
Thu, 04 Jun 1998 08:59:59 -0700

At 10:46 PM 6/2/98 -0500, John Nowack wrote:
>>You're probably all expecting me to say this, but please use Amber not
>>pmconsole. The pmconsole line has been discontinued. There is very little
>>that pmconsole would do that Amber won't - particularly on pre-3.8 ComOS
>There is one thing that Amber can't do: Run on an ASCII terminal telnetted
>back to your host from a remote POP. Something I have had to more than
>one time.

If you're just looking for installation, you can set up a tftp server and
tftp get the comos from the command line. You can also use the command
line java utilities we'll be releasing pretty soon (now in closed Beta)
(Oops, I wasn't supposed to reveal that was I? 8-)

>I wish Lucent would reconsider this. There is a *lot* to be said for text-
>mode tools. You can use them anywhere, they are smaller (I have seen Amber
>consume 32MB of RAM on my desktop machine) and (usually) faster. Yes,
>Amber is nice, the graphics are spiffy (really), and it works well. But
>when I am 30 miles away trying to get a dead box running, I don't care if
>I can see the blinky lights on the modem page, I just need to reload the
>ComOS.

There is a lot to be said for simple tools. Amber is not one of them. But
the command line utilities referenced above are/will be. We will continue
to pump those out as we see (or are shown) the need. We will (probably)
never do another curses product, in 4 years I remember 3 people telling me
they used the old one, and it's not clear that that number would change
over the next 4.

As I believe we've been doing, we will certainly continue to request and
consider customer input w/r/t management. As I've pointed out here many
times, you all know what you need/want to do your daily business. Let us
know, and we'll do our best to accomodate you.

>John
>
>--
>John Nowack
>john@dpc.net
>DPConsultants, Inc.
>Sys Admin -- dpc.net
>309-925-2451
>-

andy
++++

NOC Advocate andy@livingston.com
Lucent Technologies, Remote Access Business Unit (510)737-2151
4464 Willow Road http://www.livingston.com
Pleasanton, CA 94588 http://www.lucent.com