Re: (PM) PM Console & IRX

John Nowack (john@tremont.dpc.net)
Wed, 3 Jun 1998 08:52:06 -0500

>On Tue, 2 Jun 1998, John Nowack wrote:
>> consume 32MB of RAM on my desktop machine) and (usually) faster. Yes,
>> Amber is nice, the graphics are spiffy (really), and it works well. But
>> when I am 30 miles away trying to get a dead box running, I don't care if
>> I can see the blinky lights on the modem page, I just need to reload the
>> ComOS.
>
>If all you are doing is reloading a comos, why not use pminstall for your
>platform? or does it not work either?
Maybe I read too much into Andy's (?) note, but isn't pminstall part of
the pmconsole set? That is where I have always gotten it before. Don't
tell me I flew off the handle for nothing, wasted a perfectly good rant
and now need a foot-ectomey.

>And how are you getting into the dead box from 30 miles away? One way to
Drove. If the box won't boot I usually have to go there to flip switch
2 up and netboot it off one of our UNIX hosts.

>then turn on the PM, assuming somebody had hands there, making sure dip 1
Most of our remote POPs are in closets where no one really has the
knowledge to do these kind of things.

John

--
John Nowack