Re: (PM) renegotiation and speed dropping to 24000

Josh Richards (jrichard@livingston.com)
Tue, 2 Jun 1998 14:00:28 -0700 (PDT)

On 2 Jun 1998, Irve Towers wrote:

> >Well, you answer your own question. It's exactly what you say, it's beta
> >software. The next beta build is supposed to be more stable with more
> >modem brands etc. Remember, this is the first beta with V.90 support.
[..]
> No responses came from Lucent, but that's what I had hoped for. I've been
> in the beta game many times and reallize and except the conditions under
> which we play.
>
> I also realize that these types of anomalies are what Lucent should be
> aware of in feedback from the field. The concensous appears to be that the
> modem code is broke, but only the ComOS has broken, fixed, and broken it
> again.

Yes exactly what happened.. As you said in your original e-mail....this
was a problem for you in 3.7, then appeared fixed in 3.7.2c3...then came
back in 3.8b15. This does not suprise me, because as I have said several
times in the last couple weeks, the 3.8b15 code reintroduced several
previously closed issues (namely v.34 stuff) when V.90 was put into it.
This has been corrected and I'm hoping we'll have a newer 3.8 beta out
very soon with updated modem code.

As it stands and I have stated a number of times--do not run 3.8b15 unless
you want to play with V.90. And if you do, please be aware that several
issues have been identified, so if you suddenly start experiencing a
symptom of one of them that you did not see in a previous release you know
what to do (contact support and verify the issue with them--if it is a
known issue they can work with you on a workaround or getting the status
of a fix).

3.8b15 is otherwise very stable and the V.90 specific code has performed
extremely well in the field which is good since that was the main reason
for 3.8b15 (to get the V.90 out there and start seeing what it does in the
field).

If 3.7.2c3 worked well for you--then good. That is an official release
and how things are supposed to be. I'd recommend running that release
anytime over *anything* else out there, because I ultimately MUST have the
most faith in our final releases. Remember, I'm in Beta.. :)

-jr

----
Josh Richards - <jrichard@livingston.com> - <josh@lucent.com>
[Beta Engineer] - LUCENT Technologies - Remote Access Business Unit
<URL:http://www.livingston.com/> * <URL:http://www.lucent.com/dns/>