Re: (PM) Location wont time-out

Samudra E. Haque (haque@pradeshta.net)
Mon, 01 Jun 1998 11:43:50 -0500

Gary McKinney wrote:

> There are several really good whitepapers on the Microsoft website - use the
> online support and search for "DNS services" or just "DNS" - there are
> several docs which describe the settings in WinNT4.0 (and 3.51) for the
> DNS/WINS services...
>
> gm..
>
> (BTW: We had to do some research along the line of one customer wanting to
> run a Primary DNS server on their NT box and have us as their secondary [we
> run Unix] - real interesting some of the configuration issues to allow the
> combo to work properly...)...

pray tell me please, (and perhaps the other users would like to know
as well..).

I had recently to get a leased port customer with NT4.0 SP3 with a
primary DNS setup. The customer wanted to run WINS to take
care of their DHCP+Dynamic hostname resolution feature. This I
agreed to since it was cool, you could say dummy.domain.com
and the WINS server would respond with the IP address it had
DHCP allocated to the dummy server, without any entry
in the DNS database. So, I thought it would be good.

Turns out that if you select the WINS button on the
properties dialog box of the MS-DNS config tool, a record
of type WINS is inserted either at the top of the Zone file
or in a peculiar combination in the middle of the Zone file.

This then promptly causes my named 4.9.3-BETA26 to barf
very profusely on that particular record. Seems that "WINS"
is not an accepted type? It simply shows up as a 16-bit
number and is consequently not accepted by my secondary DNS.

Since they come into my portmaster network to get access
to my WAN to do their own stuff, how would I then help them
to resolve their own personal servers?

Does anyone know whether later versions of named allow
for this behaviour? Interesting, the DNS Whitepaper on the
M$ web site is also mentioning that WINS doesn't work
or is not recommended for public web sites.