Re: (PM) Connection Problems

Josh Richards (jrichard@livingston.com)
Fri, 29 May 1998 21:22:30 -0700 (PDT)

On 29 May 1998, Rodolfo Siviero Stein wrote:

> Today I am experimenting some problems with users connecting to
> my PM3 and the gateway of the connection becomes their IP address and
> not the default gateway configured in the memory.

The "gateway" where? If you are looking at a "show routes" on the PM-3
then this is how it SHOULD be, since the gateway for the PM-3 to get to
that IP address the user was assigned, is the interface the user is on
which only has one IP address, being a /32 (host) route of a ptp link.

If these are Win95 systems, I believe MS has some weird way of looking at
routes, where it will show the IP address that the user was assigned, as
the actual gateway address (presumably because it is the "forwarding"
interface that Win95 is going to use to send traffic out of). This will
be on the client side, not the PM-3 though.

If users are having connection problems, use traceroute from their system
as well as your side of the network and see where things are getting too
and work from there.

-jr

----
Josh Richards - <jrichard@livingston.com> - <josh@lucent.com>
[Beta Engineer] - LUCENT Technologies - Remote Access Business Unit
<URL:http://www.livingston.com/> * <URL:http://www.lucent.com/dns/>