Re: (PM) Package A or package B (Pac Bell)

Josh Richards (jrichard@livingston.com)
Thu, 28 May 1998 12:56:52 -0700 (PDT)

On 28 May 1998, Jake Messinger wrote:

> On Thu, 28 May 1998, Jeff Halper wrote:
>
> > They did claim package B was also PRI, but if one T1 went down,. so did
> > everything else. With package A, each T1 is "on it's own" so there is
> > backup if one goes down.
>
> That is moot since PM 3's dont handle NFAS anyway. And I assume since
> this is the PM list, that you are using a PM 3. And as I posted before,
> even if they DID, its NOT a good idea SPECIFICALLY for the reason you have
> concluded.

Not entirely true. NFAS specifically has provisioning for configuring and
using a Secondary (backup) D-channel to deal with this type of situation.
When the primary D-channel fails, the second D-channel takes over. The
second D-channel can be anywhere within your NFAS group, it is not on the
same circuit.

Oh and NFAS is in beta, BTW. :) Although if you are just starting out,
you most likely do not want to mess with it, since it requires mucho (and
not always fun) coordination with your telco. Mainly the people that are
asking for it are people with very large quanities of PRIs that have good
contacts with their telco already and are prepared to deal with getting
things coordinated. It makes more sense the more PRIs you get installed.
Whether NFAS is better or not dependent on who you ask.

-jr

----
Josh Richards - <jrichard@livingston.com> - <josh@lucent.com>
[Beta Engineer] - LUCENT Technologies - Remote Access Business Unit
<URL:http://www.livingston.com/> * <URL:http://www.lucent.com/dns/>