Re: (PM) Package A or package B (Pac Bell)

Jeff Halper (jefflist@ihot.com)
Thu, 28 May 1998 12:37:59 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks to everyone for the input.

I believe Package A is the best choice - 23 channels + 1 for signalling.

They did claim package B was also PRI, but if one T1 went down,. so did
everything else. With package A, each T1 is "on it's own" so there is
backup if one goes down.

On Thu, 28 May 1998, Jay Hennigan wrote:

> On Thu, 28 May 1998, Jeff Halper wrote:
>
> > pac Bell says I can get either package A - 23 channels + 1 channel for
> > signalling, or I can get package B - 24 channels, no signalling.
>
> Tell Pac Bell to lay off the marketroid-speak and get you to someone who
> can speak about technical issues in industry-standard terms.
>
> > Does PM3 support Package B? Which is recommended - A or B?
>
> Package A _sounds like_ ISDN PRI, which is preferred in most cases if the
> per-channel costs are in line. This allows you to accept all flavors of
> ISDN and modem calls on the same box on the same phone number.
>
> Package B _could be_ an additional ISDN PRI with its signalling channel
> provided by that of at least one "Package A" PRI. This isn't supported
> by Livingscent, and IMHO isn't a good idea. You gain one channel, but
> have a single point of failure that now affects more than one T-1 line,
> and it also complicates troubleshooting.
>
> Package B could also be "channelized T-1", which can be either trunk or
> line side provisioned, and has a number of options, some good and some bad.
> Line-side won't work for anything above 33.6. Dialing out from this type
> of line can be problematic.
>
> Bottom line: If "Package A" is indeed ISDN PRI, and the price is comparable,
> get "Package A".
>
> Also get the name and phone number of someone at Pac Bell who understands
> this stuff in terms other than what sounds like a Chinese restaurant menu.
>
> -- Jay Hennigan jay@west.net 805-884-6323 --
> WestNet: Internet service to Santa Barbara, Ventura and the world.
>

> -
> To unsubscribe, email 'majordomo@livingston.com' with
> 'unsubscribe portmaster-users' in the body of the message.

Jeff Halper
Internet Hotline
408/881-1000 fax 408-293-3456
http://www.ihot.com