Re: (PM) MODEM OR LINE PROBLEMS

Doug Ingraham (dpi@rapidnet.com)
Wed, 27 May 1998 16:49:20 -0600 (MDT)

On Wed, 27 May 1998, John Lange wrote:

> HI
>
> At 06:49 PM 5/26/1998 -0500, you wrote:
> >At 05:27 PM 5/26/98 -0500, John Lange wrote:
> >>PM2e-30 Sportster 33.6
> >
> >I dont suppose the above answers your question any? :)
>
> Is this supposed to be a cut on Sportsters? I have 175 of them and this
> location is the only one having this problem.
>
> I really need an educated response to this question, I am loosing customers
> left & right.
>
> The cables are all store bought M-M RS-232 Cables from the same place I
> bought the other 160 cables. This location has 15 lines and they all have
> similar problems.
>
> Thanks
>

> >>Parity Errors: 0
> >>Framing Errors: 16
> >>Overrun Errors: 3370

Overruns are caused by the modem not listening to the portmaster when it
tells it to stop sending or the portmaster not getting around to reading
the data from the port before the next character comes in. However the
counts you show here are not significant unless you just rebooted the
machine.

If your ethernet was having terrible collision problems or you have
something like a routing loop on an unswitched ether it might be possible
to overload the portmaster enough to cause it to miss a few characters.
Or a deliberate attack if you are not protecting yourself at all.

But a few overrun errors are not going to be noticable to the customer
running on a ppp link unless you are having thousands per session.

Doug Ingraham The best defense against logic is ignorance.
Rapid City, SD
USA