Re: (PM) ADSL and Pm3

Robert Boyle (robert@garden.net)
Mon, 25 May 1998 20:02:24 -0400

At 09:07 AM 5/25/98 -0500, you wrote:
>> > I dont think so. ADSL requires pretty much that you are a phone co, or
you
>> > colocate in a CO
>>
>> Phooey. We've got several ADSL customers served from our PoPs.
>
>How far away can your customers be? In a city like Houstn or a State like
>Texas, where things are far apart, it wouldn't work that well unless you
>had MANY pops all over the city.

The COMPLETE distance from your POP to the CO to the customer shouldn't be
more than 25,000 feet. We have had excellent results. We are peering with
another local provider and we have a 3 megabit/sec receive / 1 megabit send
connection between us. This week we will be doing some experiments with
7-10 mile runs, but I'm not sure how fast the throughput will be, if it
works at all.

>> Phooey again. asynch does *not* mean asymetrical. But, anyway, there are
>> lots of xDSL boxes that are symetrical, like the Megabit Modem HDSL 768
>> from Pairgain.
>
>Yes I typoed, i meant asymetrical, and that is what the A in ADSL stands
>for. Yes there are HDSL boxes which are symetrical.
>
>What sort of lines are you ordering from the phone co? They are VERY
>reluctant to give us "dry circuits" here anymore which is what I hear you
>need to use for non co-located xDSL.

Look at the tariff info for alarm circuits with your local TelCo.

-Robert

Robert Boyle Server Co-location,
Garden Networks Internet Access,
50 Diller Ave Development & Consulting
Newton, NJ 07860 (973)300-9211 Ext.103
8AM-8PM Mon-Fri EST http://www.garden.net
Lucent RABU & Software.Com Post.Office VAR