Re: (PM) ADSL and Pm3

Chris Parker (cparker@starnetusa.net)
Fri, 22 May 1998 15:56:25 -0500

At 03:14 PM 5/23/98 -0500, Jake Messinger wrote:
>On Sat, 23 May 1998, Alexander Morales wrote:
>
>> Will the PM3 have a card for ADSL?
>
>I dont think so. ADSL requires pretty much that you are a phone co, or you
>colocate in a CO

Correct. As most xDSL technologies overlay the existing phone service,
allowing both to run over the same physical line at the same time, it
requires special equipment at the CO, called a DSLAM ( Digital Service
Line Access Multiplexor ) to concentrate the DSL data links much the
same way that a PM3 concentrates Analog Modem or ISDN calls. USWest is
now offereing a DSL service that ISP's can resell. As the DSL lines are
terminated by USWest, this requires buying a data line from USWest to
the ISP to carry the data traffic, much the same way you would run a link
back from a remote POP to your main facility. This is probably going to
be how most ISP's are going to be able to offer DSL service. If you want
to become a CLEC, you may be able to colocate your own DSLAM equipiment
in the telco's CO, but you have to deal with all the other issues of
becoming a CLEC. :) Also, due to DSL's high speeds, you are very unlikely
to see a DSL implementation for the PM3. Now the PM4 on the other hand...

For more information on the various xDSL technologies, a good place to
start is the ADSL Forum at:

http://www.adsl.com/adsl_forum.html

-Chris

--
   \\\|||///  \  Chris Parker: Systems Administration and Development
   \ ~   ~ /   \   cparker@starnetusa.net   \   cparker@megapop.net
   | @   @ |    \    www.starnetusa.net      \    www.megapop.net
                  \ Without C we would have 'obol', 'basi', and 'pasal'