Re: (PM) Remote POP Management

Dick St.Peters (stpeters@NetHeaven.com)
Fri, 22 May 1998 01:11:02 -0400

Jeff Carneal writes:
> On Wed, 20 May 1998, Jake Messinger wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 20 May 1998, Lil' Feet wrote:
> >
> > > I have 2 POP locations that I would like to manage from my location.
> > > I'm trying to have some sort of machine that connects to the console ports
> > > of the various equipment that make up the remote POP, so that I may telnet
> > > to this machine and then console login to the equipment. Has anyone used
> > > PM-11's for this purpose, and if so how are the PM-11's configured since
> >
> > Yes we used/sold dozens of PM 11's specifically for this purpose.
> >
> > > you can't use the 'attach' command. If you don't use a PM-11 what do you
> > > use? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
> >
> > Set up the device-service as telnet and use ports 10001 and up (security
> > telnet ports). or just 6001 and up.
>
> I still can't get ports >10000 to work on this exact same application
> using a PM2E30. Any suggestions?

Here's one stolen from long ago ...

Date: Fri, 24 Jun 94 18:28:09 PDT
From: cdr@livingston.com (Carl Rigney)
To: gvanlehn@ccsf.cc.ca.us
Subject: Re: cheap modems and Portmaster controls
Cc: portmaster-users@msen.com
Sender: owner-portmaster-users@mail.Msen.COM

> Can you reset the modem settings through the Portmaster ?

Since this is one of the most frequently asked questions and since it's
hard to dig the answer out of the current manual I hope the mailing
list members won't mind if I cc the entire list with the answer.
Our next manuals will include this information (brief pause for
everyone to shout HURRAY! or FINALLY! as they prefer).

You can set device mode to allow telnet'ing to a port as follows:

set s1 device /dev/network
set s1 service_device telnet 6001
set s1 modem off (sometimes necessary)
reset s1

Now you can "telnet portmaster1 6001" (if your PortMaster is called
portmaster1) and be connected to the port. We typically use 6000 +
port# but you can use anything. Ports 10000-10100 have security on
them (see the Appendix on "Outbound Security" for details). You can
also set several ports to use the same number to create a pool of modems.

Carl Rigney
cdr@livingston.com

For a little more ancient history, before there was an "attach"
command:

set s1 login device /dev/network network twoway
set s1 modem on
set s1 xon off
set s1 rts on
set s1 service_device telnet 10001
set s1 service_login portmaster 10001
reset s1
add user s1
set user s1 service telnet 10001
set user s1 host <portmaster IP>
set user s1 password <password>

This set port s1 for dialin users while letting you telnet to the box,
log in as user "s1", and talk out port s1. This was "attach" for PM11
users (and early PM2 users). It too came from portmaster-users long
ago, although I don't seem to have saved the actual posting.

A few years from now, Amber will seem just as quaint.

--
Dick St.Peters, stpeters@NetHeaven.com
Gatekeeper, NetHeaven, Saratoga Springs, NY, 1-800-910-6671 (voice)