Re: (PM) How far off is the next 3.8beta

Jon Lewis (jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net)
Fri, 22 May 1998 00:49:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 21 May 1998, Jake Messinger wrote:

> > Most of them are running older implementations of Linux with broken PPP
> > or other exotic platforms, which only have SLIP-support in it.
>
> If they were running linux, it would take about 5 mins to download and
> install a newer ppp source, and perhaps 20 mins or less to compile a
> kernel. Youd think if they were running linux, theyd be techie enuff to
> get a working ppp.

When I first got Linux, I was pushed into using PPP rather than SLIP. PPP
setup on linux was much easier and had better documentation than SLIP
setup. I eventually got to SLIP, but never used it beyond verifying that
I could. We still have a few dialup customers using SLIP for some unknown
reason.